The Demidovs’ Mansion, or White House, is a top sightseeing attraction, and one of the main cultural sites of federal significance, in the town of Kyshtym of Chelyabinsk region. The mansion was founded in 1757 by Nikita Demidov, a son of the famous Ural manufacturers’ dynasty founder. The architectural ensemble is made up of the main building, two wings crowned by towers, a garden, a park, and an open-work fence. All premises were built using natural stone and brick. In 1809, after the mansion house estate had been purchased by Rastorguyev, a merchant and landowner, the main building was rebuilt in a classical style.
By the end of the 19th century Karpinsky, the Kyshtym mining district manager, used the estate to establish a museum of ore and mineral specimens and art castings. In 1899, Dmitry Mendeleyev, a well-known chemist, visited the museum, and later on he admired the artistic casts exhibited in Kyshtym.
Various state institutions such as the Tradesmen School, the Nursing School, the House of Pioneers and the School for Working Youth, were located in the main estate building in Soviet times. The building was retained in its present use as a museum only in 1979.
In 1995, the Demidovs’ Mansion acquired status as a monument of federal significance. In the same year, the Town Emblem Contest was held, and the best emblem was taken as a basis for making the Kyshtym emblem. It is the “White House” that has become a symbol of that old Ural town.
Address: Karl Marx Street, 2, Kyshtym, Chelyabinsk Region, Russian Federation, 454870
Phone: +7 (35151) 4-12-55
Path to this page:
Dubrovskiy tells about outcome of his business trip to ChinaDecember 01, 2015